Monday, June 7, 2010

the Creative Creator

Over the weekend I feel like there isn't a lot to update you about. We haven't visited any life-changing monuments or phenomenal new cities, so the weekend has been a little less exciting (in that regard).

There is a group from Abilene Christian University that are staying in the Bible School in Scandicci for the next few weeks. They are all art students, and they have already spent a few weeks in London before coming here. We have had three meals, church Sunday morning, and a devo that night with them. Its been nice to talk to Americans, especially from another Christian school.

However, now that we have met them, we are leaving. Where, you ask?

We are taking a week long trip throughout Southern Italy. We are leaving tonight on a train around 9:30 (so 2:30 local time back home). We are going to Taorina, Catania, Palermo, Naples, Pompeii, and Sicily. I'm not sure what the computer/internet situation is going to be, so its possible that I wont have any blogs for the next week or so. And if thats the case, I'm either going to have a massive blog once I return, or I will end up leaving a lot of stuff out... I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Time seems like its flying by. I simultaneously feel like I've been here forever and like I just got here. Its hard to believe that it's coming up on a month of being here. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I pray that I not overlook opportunities for growth or unique experiences while I am here.

I feel like God is using this trip to help me take a step back and evaluate my life. The year 2010 has been filled with complacency in my spiritual walk, and I have been riding on the excuse of "no time" for too long. I was just reminded of this poem I once had posted up in my room at home:

I knelt to pray but not for long,
I had too much to do.
I had to hurry and get to work
For bills would soon be due.
So I knelt and said a hurried prayer,
And jumped up off my knees.
My Christian duty was now done
My soul could rest at ease...
All day long I had no time
To spread a word of cheer.
No time to speak of Christ to friends,
They'd laugh at me I'd fear.
No time, no time, too much to do,
That was my constant cry,
No time to give to sould in need
But at last the time to die.
Then before the Lord I came,
I stood with downcast eyes.
For in His hands GOD held a book;
It was the "Book of Life"
GOD looked into His book and said
"Your name I cannot find.
I once was going to write it down...
But never found the time."


The fact of the matter is, you have to MAKE time for these things. If something is truly important to you, you adjust your schedule and your priorities to make sure you get it done. And quite frankly, spending time with God hasn't been a priority of mine. And I'm pretty ashamed of that. I feel like God is calling me to so many things, but I have been wasting my time and my talents by not connecting with Him and living a life that is truly devoted to Him. And its a struggle. Hopefully while I am here, surrounding constantly by the intense beauty of His handiwork, I can make a lasting change in my approach and attitude towards the Creative Creator.

Ciao!
Taylor

1 comment:

  1. Wow. You nailed me with your poem. I have to make the time to talk to God more otherwise I will soon drifting through live with no direction or purpose. Thank you son. Enjoy your trip. I pray that God will continue to talk to you in every aspect of your life.

    ReplyDelete