Friday, June 4, 2010

Things of Legend

Well, looks like I've got a bit of catching up to do. So I wont dive into too much detail and kinda give a synopsis of what the past few days have been like.

Even though we are overseas, we still have chapel most days, which I am actually really grateful for. It can be easy to be going 90 mph doing everything imaginable and forget the reason we are here and who we serve. I spoke in chapel on Tuesday. I talked about how we talk are living in the same place as some of the greatest artists and minds that have ever lived. Its sort of humbling to walk the same ground as these legendary people, but when you get down to it, they were just ordinary people like us. So we have the capability to become legendary as well. If we do as Matthew 5:15 says and let our light shine before men, we have the ability to make a huge impact on other people. In that regard, we have the ability to become legendary, and more importantly, make God legendary.

We got to go to a concert in Florence that was comprised completely of Gershwin music, which was pretty cool. There was a combo of a piano, upright bass, trumpet, trombone, and drums which was highlighted through the entire concert with an orchestra behind them. The trombone player especially really impressed me, and I thought it was great.

Today we had a long series of on-site classes in Florence. We went through the Medici Chapel, San Lorenzo, San Marco monastery, and the Academia. Buried under San Lorenzo were Cosimo the Elder (one of the great legacies in the Medici dynasty), and Donatello. It was awesome to be able to see that. However, the highlight of the trip was definitely in the Academia, which is where The David by Michelangelo is housed.

yes. THE David.
Sadly, this is not my picture which is because they have a strict policy against pictures being taken. They want you instead to buy the pictures and souvenirs in the gift shop, which is annoying. But that's life, and it goes on. Nonetheless, it was incredible to see The David up close, and I truly understand why it is such a masterpiece. The detail of the veins popping out and tendons and muscles and bone structure is remarkably realistic, and the fact that it was done in marble is incredible. Also, this thing is 17 feet tall. I guess I never thought about how big that is. And for little 5 foot Michelangelo to complete it in 2 years is quite a feat.

So, I'm continuing to see and experience some of the most influential and incredible works of art in history. Living where legends once were. And hopefully, I can live my life in such a way that I can add my name to those who make God legendary.

Ciao!
Taylor

2 comments:

  1. I keep hearing about how tall he is and I can't wait to see it! Glad the chapel is keeping your heart where it need to be! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your adventure seems to be getting better and better. I wonder what God is going to reveal tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete