Sunday, May 16, 2010

Getting settled in

Well, my first weekend in Italia is behind me. Its been so crazy, I haven't really found much free time to sit down and write about anything. But I have loved every bit of it, and I am even more excited about the summer ahead of me.

The Villa (built in the 1400s) is pretty incredible. Its sort of a maze to get around, but this place feels like home already. It sits on a hill overlooking Scandicci and Firenze (Florence), and it is gated off. We have a fair sized backyard with olive trees, hammocks, roses galore, and a basketball/volleyball court. Inside, there are a lot of residence rooms upstairs, a computer room, a loft for studying and such, and a "dungeon" with a ping pong table. In the dungeon is a painted mural on the walls and ceiling archiving each group that comes through here, which we will get to add one of our own at the end of the semester.

I am working here doing like a million jobs it seems. I am an RA (Resident Assistant), which basically means I lock up the Villa at night, check to see everyone is here, and all around do whatever work needs to be done by the directors. On top of that, I am supervisor of the other student jobs, I do "maintenance", which is just cleaning and restocking a few things, and I do dishes occasionally. Hopefully all the money I make from it will make it all worth it.

I apologize for (1) the long pause before my first real post and (2) the fact that I haven't put any pictures up. I promise pictures will come, but it rained all day Saturday, and i just didn't get around to taking many today. But once I have some, They will be posted.

Chaio for now!
Taylor

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like a wonderful place. I still have not homed in with google earth to exactly determinew which building is your villa. I will get it figured out I am sure. Your mom really enjoyed hearing your voice. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete