Thursday, May 27, 2010

The Power of Music

Today we went with some Italian students from an art school (high school level) in Florence to hike some trails in Scandicci. We helped the groups that are in charge of the trails pick up trash, trim the overgrowth, and repaint the trail markers. It was a great time to just walk through and enjoy God's great creation as well as get to interact with Italians and another culture.

Crossing a culture (and especially language) barrier is always difficult. Its uncomfortable. It is much easier to stick to your group of American friends with you, which I am sad to admit is what I did for the most part (although I did interact with and talk to several students, I just didn't do as much as I feel I should have). They are limited in their knowledge of English, and we are even more limited in our knowledge of Italian.

However, there is one thing i have found that seems to cross and mesh cultures easier than many other things. That thing is music. In our Italian class, we have been learning several Italian songs. We all complained and thought they were just dumb and pointless to learn them. However, when we were on the trail today, I noticed one girl in our group started singing one of the Italian songs. At once, the Italian's eyes lit up in recognition and chimed in and sang along. Although we have few things we can really say in a conversation, we are able to connect to one another and share experiences through music. The group of girls singing helped teach each other songs in each other's languages. I believe the English songs that were sung were "Barbie Girl" and "Single Ladies". Interesting choices, but it was fun and I saw connections and bonds being made that otherwise may not have happened.

Music has always spoken to me. Now I understand that it is so much more than the enjoyment of a melody or some nicely written lyrics. It is about an experience. It is about connecting with something greater than yourself, and through that, you can share that experience with another person and share your connection, even if it is in a different language.

Ciao!
Taylor

2 comments:

  1. Your insight is most impressive. I am glad that you have been able to realize the opportunities that are presented to you even if you don't take advantage of all of them. Hopefully we all can learn the same lessons even if we are state side. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for an Italy blog! Even though working with your youth group is really, really awesome (they are great!!) I still really miss being over there. So I will now commence stalking your posts :-)

    I agree completely--one of my favorite memories from last summer was a huge dance party we had the Fourth of July with the Tuscan-American Association where a ton of Italians and Americans, all united by the music. Such a great feeling :-)

    ReplyDelete