Friday, May 28, 2010

Spiritual Workout

Before about an hour ago, I didn't have much to talk about other than 'I had a yummy pastry and coffee at Bar Mario" or "I took a wonderful nap on a swing outside in the Tuscan springtime" or "we had a cool hour long language exchange with some Italians at the library (which was actually pretty fun and a good experience)."

However, I was convinced to participate in a P90-X workout. I should have known what I was getting myself into. We did the entire thing (minus the bonus round), and by the end I was feeling muscles I forgot existed. The entire thing just reminded me of one thing: I am out of shape.

I've never been a big workout buff. Sure, in high school I was in decent shape because I was constantly working out doing marching drumline stuff, but I have never been a hit-the-gym lets-keep-a-regular-workout-routine kinda guy. Yes, I am aware that I just used too many hyphens to connect words, but you get the idea.

However, from doing tonight's workout, it made me realize that physically straining activities like that would be much easier if I did it more on a regular basis. If I did a little bit each day, my muscles would adapt and grow and strengthen, and then it wouldn't be as tough to do the difficult things.

Then, as I was showering and regretting my workout, it hit me. Thats exactly like our spiritual life.

Its not something we can just assume we are strong with, and never exercise it or stretch it and grow it. It is something that we have to constantly develop, constant work at, constantly sweat and fight for. Is it easy? Well, no, of course it isn't. Is the reward worth all the effort. Absolutely.

Paul puts it this way in 1 Corinthians 9:
"Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever.

Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize."

I am spiritually out of shape. And recently, I have not been willing to put the work into making myself stronger. I keep assuming that it will just happen one day, that one day *poof* I will magically be more mature. Thats not the way this works. In fact, the more I put it off, the weaker I become, and the harder I am going to have to work later.

I need to start today. Right now. I need to work myself out daily, envelop myself in the Word, pray, and actually put some faith in God. One of my bible teachers loved to say "Little faith, little prayer," and I believe thats very true. My sad excuse for a prayer life shows how much faith I am actually putting in God and how much more I am relying on myself and other humans. I can't think of anything more foolish. God is the only one that will never let me down, why put my faith in anything else?

Something I learned on a little "man retreat" this past semester has also stuck with me. Think about how much time you spend with your boyfriend/girlfriend/other friends/family/etc. You make every opportunity to spend as much time with them as possible, because you love them, right? Then how does it make sense that we (well, I can only speak for myself here) spend less time with the one who loves us more than any human will ever be capable of? Why would I not devote at least twice as much time to the very one who is responsible for my existence, and to the one who made it possible for me, a sinner, to ever consider being in the presence of the Lord?

I am grateful to be loved by such a powerful, merciful God. And I am grateful I serve a God who gives second chances. My God is mighty to save.

Hopefully, I can become more devoted, more faithful, and more willing to undergo a regular spiritual workout to become the man of God I am called to be.

Ti amo con l'amor di Gesu,
Taylor

1 comment:

  1. Quite though provoking and convicting. I need a better spiritual workout routine. Thanks for reminding me. I love you. Dad.

    ReplyDelete